Sunday, 4 February 2007

Underway

Well, I did it, 60 miles on Saturday morning. It must have been the coldest morning for quite a while so my fellow cyclists didn't see me until we were 90 minutes in as I was hidden under a balaclava, under my helmet of course.

I was with some dismay that I heard the discussion on the course for the morning mention "The Cat and Fiddle", if you don't know it, it's a pub close to Buxton. It isn't quite at the top of the world but you can se the top of the world from it. Plenty of climbing!

We soon warmed up, apart from the ends of my fingers and toes, I can't see how to get over that on a bike, your toes and fingers don't do anything! Even the "Burton Racers" can't keep toes warm.

We managed a very welcome tea and a fairy cake in the Cat and Fiddle, and I even found myself itching to get going again. The final sting in the tail was a very short but steep climb up to Thorpe and home. I could feel my thighs beginning to cramp but couldn't possibly stop this close to home. I made it back only to find my milometer on 59.45 miles, not a good place to stop so I rode up and down the lane to get on to 60 miles, the furthest I've ever done in a day.

Do you know what, I loved it. The weather was magnificent, the views breathtaking and the company excellent. I think I might be hooked. I even managed to stay upright on the icy roads, obviously the benefit of having turned my rear tyre around the night before. I celebrated with a great curry out with some friends last night, believe me getting to sleep didn't take long. My legs don't feel even feel too bad today.

Oh and the Villa won as well, so the world is good.

No comments: